Sunday, March 7, 2010

Trader Joe's wall hanger



I swear this thing looks like a wall hanger for Trader Joe's!

File under "not likely to happen again anytime soon". Turned out to be WAY MORE WORK than I anticipated. But its basically done now, according to me. My wife, on the other hand, says it still needs work - my greatest critic. She'll tell me stuff like "her hair is too brassy", "make her mouth more friendly looking - and soften her eyes, she looks too mean" or "what is this worm doing in her eye?".

This morning I just sandpapered the face completely off and started over. She kept bringing me pictures from her clothing catalogs, saying make the eyes like this, or make the mouth like this. I swear I spent as much time on those eyes as a woman spends in the morning! I don't see how they do it every day hahaha!

I didn't want to continue the mural into the fin area, and finally came up with the simple design you see here, after a lot of thought and sketches and a few false starts. I thought it would be funny to make the tail part look like foam - you know how you see foam boards painted to look like wood? So I painted a wood board to look like foam!

I don't know if it shows in the pic, but I painted it gray, then sponged white over it, to give it that stippled look of foam. It really does look like foam up close. And I added a fake "stringer" - and to complete the look, I carried the bogus stringer across the board, you can sorta see it in the blue water behind the mermaid. (might have to click on the pic to see it larger).

No comments:

Post a Comment