Sunday, February 21, 2010

tail reinforcement and 1st ribs




I added a layer of thin plywood at the tail, in case I sand some channels in the bottom, and to beef up the fin attachment area.

stringer be in



Saturday, February 20, 2010

I cut the rails

I cut the rails down, now I've decided to add some ribs and a stringer - the skin is just too "flexy" as it is. At least on the 7'6" hybrid. On the fish, I might still try to get away without ribs.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

this smells fishy

I'm doing another retro fish at the same time...



flexy flyer

the bottom felt a bit too flexy, so I painted it with some polyurethane resin I had on hand, to see if it would stiffen up. It did, so I'm undecided if I'll glass the inside too, or just the outside.


screw this...

Instead of using a bunch of clamps, I screwed the bottom plank to the rails...until the glue dried. Then I took the screws out, and filled the holes with putty.




rocker cut, and bottom glued-up

layout the rocker on the rails

rails built - board to follow

Bahrman Rails again


I like building these rails-first boards, different from the way everyone else does it.

template time

next up: hybrid funboard


My next board is going to be a hybrid funboard shape. I have sketched it out here, along with some notes and ideas - but like most my stuff, the actual construction process will be worked out as I go along. Yep, I make it up as I go. Also called "faking it" hahaha!

Monday, February 8, 2010


System 3 epoxy resin from Merton's



single layer of 4 oz. s-cloth from e-z foam, top and bottom