Monday, November 1, 2010

converting retro-fish to twinzer quad








This is a board I completed awhile back, but it hasn't been ridden much. I do recall it feeling "stiff" the few times I had it out.

So to get stoked on it again, I decided to convert it to a quad. I received some ridicule for the idea - one message board poster said "Does J.C Whitney still have those Rolls Royce radiator add ons for Volkswagons? Or maybe a continental kit for the motor lid... Quads are more than just two more fins. Ask a quad guy."

Yeah, I know, its the nerdy thing to do. All were in agreement I shouldn't do it to THIS particular board. "That's a pretty board to start cutting into, though." "I agree..., leave the other (yellow) board alone, beautiful board.

Nonetheless, I proceeded forthwith. I cut the keel fins down, so the quad fins I added wouldn't increase the overall fin area by much. I cut 2" off the swallow tails, to give it a narrower and more contemporary swallow-v. I added probox fin cups.

The probox cups need a "well" to sit in - with a hollow wooden board, there is no foam to create a well. So I had to build one out of fiberglass.

Then I set the cups in and glassed them in the normal way. While not required, I'll probably glass over them, just a little precaution I like to take.

Working on the board in my spare time, I'm getting closer to having it ride-ready, and being able to try my first and only quad-fish. Hoping its not a dog!





1 comment:

  1. It looks good,nice clean modification. I had a quad a long time ago but, it didn't have a fish tail. Yours should be fast and loose.

    D.

    ReplyDelete